On Sunday 24th August 2014 Cllr James Tobin unveiled the bronze sculpture of Strongbow and Aoife now located at the Bishop’s Palace Garden in the heart of the Viking Triangle in Waterford.
Strongbow was the eldest son of Gilbert de Clare, earl of Pembroke, and succeeded to his father’s earldom in 1148.
Dermot MacMurrough, king of Leinster sought Strongbow’s assistance in regaining his power in Ireland. In return he promised Strongbow his daughter Aoife in marriage. Strongbow landed in Ireland on 23 August 1170 and attacked Waterford with a force of some two hundred knights and one thousand troops. Aoife and Strongbow were married at Christ Church Cathedral soon after Waterford was seized.