Abbey Road Gardens
Abbey Road is described as a ‘plant person’s’ garden by its Head Gardener, who is passionate about plants and carries out all the work – she is also the owner ! Work at Abbey Road is made easy by the sheltered site and the rich soil – a legacy from its former use as the Abbey Farm of the medieval abbey of Killculliheen. The layout of the garden is also dictated by its history and made up of a series of garden spaces or rooms with a surprise around every corner. There is a wide range of trees, shrubs and herbaceous perennials with some rare and unusual species.
Visitors in June and July can admire the large variety of mature old roses. Whenever you visit you can be assured of a warm welcome by Margaret and after walking, and talking plants – you can enjoy a ‘cuppa’ in the courtyard behind the old farmhouse. Abbey Road is not a large garden but it is a very interesting ¾ acre plantaholic’s dream.
Abbey Road Gardens is situated on the north side of the River Suir i.e. on the opposite side to Waterford city. From Waterford Railway Station take R711 direction Belview Port, stay in centre lane, straight through traffic lights, first turn right into Abbey Road and the garden is on the left after funeral home.
Contact details: T: +353 (0)51 851111 M: +353 (0) 87 220 9026
Ballyin House Gardens
Ballyin is a six-acre historic garden with slopes cascading down to the north bank of the Blackwater River. The main gardens were laid out around 1730 and by the early 1800’s the gardens were well established. Amongst the more notable visitors to these gardens were King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra who walked the gardens during their visit to Lismore in 1906. Abandoned and left derelict during the First World War and the Civil War, the gardens where then rescued by Lady Gordon in the late 1920’s and remained in her care until her death in 1945.
The main feature of the gardens is the ‘Rhododendron Walk’, a blaze of colour and an air suffused with the scent of an extensive array of rhododendrons, many of which are large old specimens of azaleas and camellias. ‘The Garden House’ feature was built using as its base the ruins of what was originally a bandstand and the ‘The Lady’s Walk’ which was created for Lady Gordon, who liked to walk to town but did not like walking along the road side. This garden also boasts an interesting collection of old, mature trees, many of North American origin, including the Monterey Cypress which is situated on the main lawn. This magnificent tree has a girth of almost nine meters and is just short of 200 years old. While over the years, the character of the Gardens has changed as new varieties of trees and shrubs became available in Ireland, when strolling in these gardens it is Lady Gordon we have to thank for much of what can be seen today.
Ballyin House is a little under 1 Km from Lismore Bridge on the Ballyduff road (R666). The name of the house is marked on the entrance, and is on the left, just before some mileage signs where the road bends to the right at the top of the hill.
Contact details: T: + 353 (0)58 54608 M: +353 (0) 87 7939101
Cappoquin House Gardens
This is an 18th Century Georgian mansion designed by Waterford architect Roberts, built on the site of an old Fitzgerald castle by George Kean’s grandson, whose family have lived in Cappoquin for over 300 years. Having burnt to the ground in 1922, Senator Sir John Keane set about a major restoration and today this house looks little changed, dominating the river Blackwater and ploughing its way through the hills and down to the sea. Laid out in the mid 19th Century, this garden is a south facing five-acre plot surrounding the house and overlooking the valley. The garden combines formal and informal planting within a context of mature trees, some of which are over 150 years old. It was taken in hand by Lady Olivia Keane in the 1950s and expanded by her in the late 1970s.To this day it still reflects her taste and extensive knowledge of plants.
This garden is packed with old arboretum rhododendrons, myrtles, much loved in Irish gardens, schima and parotia together with magnolias, camellias, azaleas, rhododendrons and, of course, roses. Other features include: a formal sunken garden with summer flowering perennials; a bleaching ground planted with broad leaf rhododendrons and other garden trees and shrubs; a pleasure ground with free standing mature trees; a pear and apple walk; and a recently planted woodland walk.
From Dungarvan: On arrival in Cappoquin town turn off the main road into the Market Square. Turn right, and the gates of the house are 100 yards on the left.
Fair Brook House Gardens
The water power of the River Dawn is the key to Fairbrook’s history, first as a paper mill, later, a flour mill dating back to 1776 and then, from 1846 to 1929, as a woollen mill.
When Dutch artists Clary Mastenbroek and her late husband Wout Muller first moved there in 1992, all that remained was the house, old trees and some mysterious ruins. Since then, one of the large buildings has been restored and is now housing an art studio and the Fairbrook Musuem, with the unique art collection attracting many art lovers. The romantic walled garden has evolved into a wonderfully structured garden which is constantly evolving and full of hidden treasures in every corner, including water features, ruins, remains of former buildings which have been intergrated into the garden design.
Some of the special features of this garden include; a hot garden planted with monarda, Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ and the curiously named rose ‘Parkdirektor Riggers’; an aromatic African garden with a Moroccan door, a berceau walk twined with crab apples and wisteria, a lily pool guarded by agapanthus and bonsais, a parterre planted with a trio of lavenders ‘Munstead’ ‘Hidcote’ and L angustifolia, a sculpture garden, and even a maze designed by Clary.
From Waterford follow the N25 in the direction of Cork. After passing through the Carrick Road roundabout, take the first turn on right.
Salterbridge House Gardens
Salterbridge House was originally built around 1750 by Richard Musgrave on land which had been acquired from the Lismore Castle estate. The house was substantially rebuilt in the early 19th century and some years later radically refitted to take on the appearance that we see today. We have clear evidence of two dates only; the courtyard arch shows the date 1849, and the date 1884 is carved into oak panels in the hall. The exterior of the house could be described as Regency Picturesque in style, whilst inside it remains largely true to its Victorian heritage.
The gardens, which are part of the wonderful Waterford Garden Trail, are spread over some 5 acres boasting an interesting collection of trees including one of the largest cork oaks in Ireland, a fine single leaved ash and woodland shrubs. It is perhaps at its best in the spring when most of the rhododendrons, magnolias and camellias are in flower.
From Cappoquin take the Lismore road (N72) and after half a mile, the first house on the right is the gate lodge. Go through the black iron gates and three quarters of a mile up the avenue you will find Salterbridge House.
Tourin House Gardens
Tourin House was built in 1840 overlooking the river in the then fashionable Italianate style. Its historic seventeenth century Tower House can be seen from the garden which extends over 5 acres and includes a walled garden with a fine collection of camellias, rhododendrons, magnolias and other shrubs which give a beautiful seasonal display of colour. Mature trees date from the original garden and parkland, which was extended in the late 1800’s, including oak, beech, cedar, yew, pines and rare specimens such as a Champion London Plane Tree.
The garden is predominately a spring garden with carpets of snowdrops, daffodils and other bulbs. Deciduous azaleas add their bright colours in late spring and early summer while a riot of vibrant colour greets the visitor in the walled garden throughout the summer months. Fruit, vegetables, herbs and cutting flowers are grown in the walled garden which is also home to an important collection of over 100 bearded Iris, flowering in May/June.
Lovely walks along garden and woodland paths lead to Tourin Quay and a pond with wild duck and other wild life. The scenic route winds past the stable yard and stone farm buildings, where a delightful tea room is situated for visitors to enjoy.
Tourin House is 5km south of Cappoquin town on the scenic route to Youghal. Signposted from Cappoquin bridge.
Contact details: T: +353 (0) 58 54405 M:+353 (0) 86 8113841
E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.tourin-house.ie
Tramore House Gardens
Tramore House dates from the late 1880s and is surrounded by two and a half acres of garden which lay dormant for decades until its restoration for Waterford County Council by Angela Jupe and ‘The Great Gardens of Ireland Restoration programme’. The gardens now illustrate the Victorians’ love of combining formality and natural planting- formal box-edged old rose beds lead to the house entrance while bluebells, anemones and tiny narcissi carpet the ground in spring.
Further down the garden, a series of paths lead the visitor through the wooded slopes to the water basin, canal and rock garden. A 150-foot-long herbaceous border, planted with shrubs and perennials provide colour from June through to October.
The original water feature, which was fed by a hillside stream, has been redesigned to cascade down the steeply sloping site. The water emerges from a bronze sea horse into a formal pool and thence to a canal before finally cascading through rocks into an informal lower pool, lushly planted with gunnera and bamboo.
when entering Tramore, follow signs for NRA Tramore House
Contact details: T: +353 (0)51 395555 E: email@example.com